12"/18" Armagh Schmidt Telescope.
The reflector by George Calver was converted into a Schmidt telescope in 1950. The Royal Society provided a grant for the conversion of the optical parts by the firm of Cox, Hargreaves and Thomson, who also provided a synchronized drive. The mounting of the Calver was retained. Through a gift from Mr. T. Scott of Armagh, a dome was built (see P. Moore, "Armagh Observatory 1790-1967", p.49). In 2004 the telescope was restored to its original configuration.
Last Revised: 2011 August 4th